Discuss how these perspectives explain what is occurring with regard to this mental health issue.
Discuss which perspective best explains the current mental health issue, based on the student’s analysis.
- Select a current issue or event that is related to a mental health issue. This event has to have occurred (or been in the media) within the last year. Students can focus on a particular mental health issue or approach it more generally. In other words, this current event may stand on its own or stem from social, political, religious, environmental, or other concerns.
- Choose two perspectives that have been discussed over the course of the semester (e.g., biological, cognitive, social, developmental, behavioral, psychodynamic, etc). Using these two perspectives, compare and contrast them regarding the selected current event. In other words, students must analyze the pros and cons of each perspective as they apply to the issues. This portion of the paper should:
- Discuss how these perspectives explain what is occurring with regard to this mental health issue. (How can the concepts/theories selected be used to explain the current event/issue? How well do they explain the event?)
- Organize arguments to reveal differences and similarities in the views; include insights and information from relevant sources.
- Use sources to support ideas and back up factual claims. Your psychology textbook is an appropriate source.
- Be mainly analytical. Although a portion of the paper will be devoted to describing the current event/issue, as well as to a general discussion of the psychological perspectives, the vast majority of the paper should consist of the student’s analysis.
- Discuss which perspective best explains the current mental health issue, based on the student’s analysis.
- Each student must critically analyze and explain why the chosen perspective is a better choice than the other.
For Part 2 of the paper, each student should:
- Describe a way to increase the public’s knowledge of mental health issues. This strategy must be based on the perspective that was argued in Part 1 as the best explanation of the current event.
- Refer to relevant psychological research that supports this proposed strategy. Your psychology textbook is an acceptable source of research.
- Discuss possible limitations of the proposed strategy.
- At least 750 words (approximately 3 double-spaced pages)
- 1-inch margins all around
- 12-point Times New Roman font
To receive top marks on this assignment, students must:
- Have a clear topic outlined at the onset of the paper.
- Clearly describe how mental health awareness would increase using the chosen paradigm.
- Come to a clear conclusion about the best course of action.
- Papers should be well-written, organized, and coherent. Analyses should be in-depth and thorough. The textbook should be properly cited when discussing the theory/concept, and all sources should be included on the references page.