Does the mother have a right to privacy regarding her own diagnosis, which could be threatened if her daughter learns of her own status?
Ethical, Social, and Legal Implications of Disclosure
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, be sure to read the required articles for this week. .
You are a consulting psychologist for a local clinic and have been asked to review an ethically complex case. Please review the PSY699 Week four discussion case file (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. for detailed information on the case under review.
In your initial post, explain how the APA Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct can be used to guide decisions in this ethically complex situation. Provide a suggested course of action for the clinic staff. Given the daughter’s age and the situation presented, integrate concepts developed from different psychological content domains to support your suggested course of action. Be certain to use evidence-based psychological concepts and theories to support your arguments. You may wish to consider the following questions as you construct your post.
- Does the daughter have a right to know her diagnosis?
- Does the mother have a right to not disclose the diagnosis to her daughter?
- Does the mother have a right to privacy regarding her own diagnosis, which could be threatened if her daughter learns of her own status?
- Should the staff tell the daughter if the mother does not want her to know?
- If the daughter wants to know more about her condition, what should the staff say?
- Are there other approaches the staff can take? If so, what are they?
- Is further information required in order for you to create an ethically sound suggested course of action?