humanism, or behaviorism.
To prepare for this week’s Assignment, review the following videos in addition to this week’s assigned Reading:
- Duran, V. M. (2013). Supernatural views- Historic. Retrieved from http://www.cengage.com/custom/ems/psych/shared/video/player.html?video=suprnatral_vws_hstrc_16360.
- Duran, V. M. (2013). Hippocrates. Retrieved from http://www.cengage.com/custom/ems/psych/shared/video/player.html?video=hippocrates_16362.
- Duran, V. M. (2013). Concept Check: Integrative Approach. Retrieved from http://www.cengage.com/custom/ems/psych/shared/video/player.html?video=cncpt_chck_intgratve_apprch_16363.
In the past, a one-cause approach was more accepted to understanding psychopathological behavior. Today, it is more accepted that there are multiple causes that can explain the development of mental illness.
For this Assignment, you will compare and contrast the early ways of thinking about psychological disorders to today’s current view and explain the multi-dimensional model and the major approaches (theorized causes) of mental illness.
- Explain what early thoughts and beliefs existed about what caused mental illness.
- Describe one of the psychological traditions and how it furthered the beliefs about what causes mental illness from that of the early beliefs by the Greeks and from Religions. Select from: Freud’s theory of the unconscious, humanism, or behaviorism.
- Explain the idea of a multi-dimensional approach and how it differs from a single approach to understanding the major causes of mental illness.
- Last, referring directly to the textbook, provide an overview of the major approaches of a multi-dimensional integrated model listed in the textbook. For each major approach, include its central tenant(s) as it relates to the explanation (or cause) of mental illness. The major approaches that provide an explanation or cause for the development of mental illness are biological approach (genetics and neurological factors), psychological approach (cognitive and behavioral factors, including the unconscious), emotions approach, social and cultural approach, and the developmental approach. For example, from the biological approach, an imbalance of neurochemicals is believed to influence (or cause) behavioral changes as well as heritability.
Submitting Your Learning Activity
Using your textbook, complete the Unit 3 Assignment Template. No more than 10% of the work should be direct quotations Complete the document in 2–3 pages, using APA writing style, and save it in a location with your first and last name in the title. When you are ready to submit it, go to the Dropbox.